Summer represents the time of light, energy, and renewal. We all feel energized when the sun is high, but did you know that natural light also boosts mood, focus, and cognitive functioning?
Studies in both the workplace and in the classroom, show that exposure to natural light, especially morning light, lifts mood, sharpens alertness, and improves performance.
Sunlight also has amazing benefits for our immune health.
Vitamin D is activated by sunlight. Exposure to just 15 minutes a day of direct sunlight on our skin is often enough to keep our vitamin D levels healthy, thereby decreasing our risk of cancer, heart disease, and of coming down with the common cold.
Getting enough natural light during the day also helps to reset our circadian rhythm, resulting in better sleep and higher daytime energy levels.
Benefits of natural light:
- Increased cognitive performance including alertness and attention
- Increased immune function including prevention of heart disease and certain forms of cancer
- Positive mood outcomes including decreased incidences of depression and violent behavior
- Better sleep
- Improved energy levels during the day
Tips to power your mood and your health:
- Try to get a minimum of 15 minutes of sunlight per day.
- Morning light is especially important for setting circadian rhythms and for increasing energy and alertness.
- Work by natural light, if at all possible. If not, take breaks and get outside for a walk
- Consider a full spectrum lighting if your workplace is not near a source of natural light
How are you staying healthy while celebrating summer?